Tuesday, November 28, 2006

My fav recipe

Hello all,
For the Secret Pal 9 contest this month I am to write about a favorite recipe that is special to me.

My mom and grandmother made this yummy Buttermilk Cake with Caramel icing. My Granny had made it for years and years. People she worked for in the past would call her to make this cake for them. She would ship from KY to California or wherever due to these requests! My Granny would bake it from memory...even in her mid 90's and I would stand there waiting for her to finish with the icing pot so I could scrape it clean! LOL
The cake recipe was always a secret, and was handed down, if you were interested in baking. My mom perfected the caketoo, and it was soooo good. We ALWAYS had it on the holidays.(among other cakes of course)

It was given to me when I got married, but I did not try to make it until a few years ago. My mom and Granny are both deceased now, but my dad (who was a great taste tester for years) said That I got it! Yay!!!!!
The flavor of the cake is so good, It is light and airy, but melts in your mouth. The caramel icing is made the old fashioned way by browning your sugar in the iron skillet. Yum!! I need to make some NOW!!!LOL

So that is my favorite recipe that has so much emotion and love tied up into it.
TTFN!

When I make it for my family wonderful memories come flooding back of Holiday baking and birthday celebrations with my family as a child. And I always lick the pot from the icing left, before I let my kids have it!

No comments: